Areas of expertise
- European and International law
- Climate change and EU environmental law
- Legal and policy analysis
- Evaluations and fitness checks
- Project management
- Dutch bar qualification (Beroepsopleiding Advocaten), Dutch Bar Association, The Hague
- LL.M. in European and International Law, Maastricht University (NL)
- Erasmus Exchange Programme, Aix-Marseille University (FR)
- LL.B. in European Law, Maastricht University (NL)
- Dutch, English, French, German, Spanish
Merel Dekker is a Dutch qualified lawyer who joined Milieu as a legal advisor in January 2021. She holds a Master’s degree in European and International law from Maastricht University. In 2013, she studied International Relations and Law at the Law Faculty of Aix-Marseille University in France. Prior to joining Milieu, Ms Dekker worked for five years as a lawyer for De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek, an international law firm based in The Netherlands. As a lawyer, she specialised in EU law, competition law and regulatory enforcement in environmental law matters. She has been involved in various complex cross-border internal investigations and multi-jurisdictional litigation projects. Before joining De Brauw, Ms Dekker also worked as a trainee at the Royal Netherlands Embassy in Washington D.C., where she reported on matters of trade politics, including negotiations for a Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership between the US and the EU.
Ms. Dekker’s main areas of expertise include environmental law, energy and infrastructure, international trade, consumer protection and internal market rules. As a lawyer, Ms. Dekker has advised large companies in matters relating to environmental spatial planning and the energy transition, for example in the context of public procurement for renewable energy projects. Furthermore, Ms Dekker has extensive project management experience, having been the lead associate in international internal investigations and multi-jurisdictional litigation projects. She has vast experience in comparing legal systems and working with external consultants with different backgrounds on multidisciplinary analyses for a diverse range of clients.