Areas of expertise
- Economic research and consulting
- Quantitative and qualitative research
- International trade
- Policy and data analysis
- Evaluation and impact assessments
- MSc International Economics, Erasmus University Rotterdam, the Netherlands
- Exchange Abroad, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- BSc Economics, Maastricht University, the Netherlands
- Dutch, English, Turkish, French, German
Berkay Akbaba is a Dutch national who joined Milieu as a Policy Researcher in July 2021. He holds a master’s degree in International Economics from Erasmus University Rotterdam and a bachelor’s degree in Economics from Maastricht University.
Following an exchange semester in Singapore, Berkay worked over two years as an economic analyst, first in market research and later in the area of competition. Here he gained extensive experience in advising companies by conducting economic analyses, quantitative and qualitative research, and data analyses, using tools such as Stata, Excel and Python.
Since joining Milieu, Berkay has been focusing on policy analyses and impact assessments in a variety of topics, including the 2021 intra-EU labour mobility report and Trade and Sustainable Development (TSD) policy, and acted as Dutch/Belgian country expert on subjects ranging from the access to essential services as defined in the European Pillar of Social Rights to the Common Agriculture Policy (CAP) strategic plans. As a result, he has acquired significant expertise in both quantitative research in the form of data management and processing, and analysis and presentation of data, and qualitative research in the form of stakeholder interviews, desk research, and targeted surveys.