Areas of expertise
- Environmental law
- Human Rights
- Legal and policy research and analysis
- Data collection and analysis
- PhD, Law, School of Oriental and African Studies, London (UK)
- Droit de l’Environnement et des Risques, University of Strasbourg, Strasbourg (FR)
- Diplôme Universitaire: Pollutions et Nuisances, University of Strasbourg, Strasbourg (FR)
- Droit International, Lille 2 University (International Exchange Programme with Laval University in Quebec City), Lille (France)
- MA, Science Politique, Lille 2 University, Lille (FR)
- Licence: Droit, University of Valenciennes, Valenciennes (FR)
- French, English
Virginie Rouas is a French national, working as a Legal Advisor at Milieu since September 2016. She holds a PhD in Law from the School of Oriental and African Studies (University of London) and a Master’s Degree in Environmental Law from the University of Strasbourg.
Her main areas of expertise include environmental law and human rights. During her PhD, Dr Rouas explored issues relating to business and human rights and access to justice. Her doctoral thesis focused on human rights and environmental litigation against multinational enterprises in France and the Netherlands. Prior to joining Milieu, Virginie worked for various national and international organizations and NGOs, including the United Nations Environment Programme, the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), Global Witness, the School of Oriental and African Studies and Frank Bold.
As a Legal Consultant at IUCN, she supported the management of legal projects on various topics, such as protected areas in Europe and Africa, access to genetic resources as well as rights-based approaches to conservation. She also coordinated a project about access to justice in the European Union in the context of corporate human rights abuse while working at Frank Bold.