Covenant of Mayors
Mid-term evaluation of the urban adaptation initiative within the framework of Covenant of Mayors
Client: DG Climate action
The objective of the project was to evaluate DG Climate Action’s urban adaptation initiative, Mayors Adapt, to ensure that it was meeting its objectives. The initiative was evaluated according to the following questions:
1. What was the status of implementation of the initiative in terms of commitment of Mayors, communication, website and outreach of the initiative, help-desk function and support for city administrations?
2. Had the initiative already had any effects and if so, did they correspond to its objectives?
3. Are the costs resulting from the implementation of the initiative proportional to the expected results?
4. What steps could be taken to improve the efficiency of the initiative? Were there missing tools and/or actions to implement the initiative more efficiently?
5. How well did the initiative fit with other EU policy objectives?
6. How well did the initiative fit with the Covenant of Mayors? Were there synergies between the two initiatives?
7. What was the EU added value of the initiative? To what extent could the results expected by the initiative have been achieved by local or national measures only?
8. Were there other issues that were not covered by the existing initiative and that could be introduced in view of their potential added value?
Milieu conducted desk research, interviewed stakeholders and experts, and held a stakeholder workshop to gather the data necessary for the evaluation.
Milieu synthesised its findings into a final evaluation report, delivering recommendations for the current and future implementation of Mayors Adapt.