Water Framework Directive
Compliance Checking of the Water Framework Directive
Client: DG Environment
This project provides support to the European Commission (DG Environment) on Member State implementation of the Water Framework Directive (2000/60/EC), and in particular relates to the development of River Basin Management Plans (RBMPs) and Programmes of Measures (PoMs).
The specific work includes the following tasks:
1. assessment of RBMPs in several countries: Milieu has carried out the assessment for Croatia, and also provides the topic lead for governance, carrying out QA on this topic in all assessments covered by the contract;
2. preparation of a MS support summarising the results of the RBMP assessments: Milieu carried out this work for Croatia;
3. assessment of the progress of implementation of the Programmes of Measures. Milieu will carry out this work for Croatia, Estonia, Finland and Italy;
4. assessment of MS Rural Development Programmes (RDPs), particularly in terms of their impacts on water management and their actions to support implementation of the WFD and RBMPs: Milieu is assessing RDPs in Croatia, Estonia, Finland and Italy;
5. assessment of the Operational Programmes (OPs) under EU Cohesion Policy: Milieu is leading this work and carrying out assessments of about 20 Programmes to identify potential impacts on water management as well as actions to support implementation of the WFD and the RBMPs.