Expanding urban wastewater SIID via the development of SIIF infringements
Client DG Environment
The European Commission has launched the preparation of “Structured Information and Implementation Frameworks” (SIIFs) to improve the reporting, processing and assessment of data on the implementation of EU legislation.
The Urban Waste Water Treatment Directive (91/271/EEC) was adopted in 1991 but full implementation and Member State compliance with requirements remained important concerns. The project aimed to expand the Urban Wastewater SIIF through the development of “SIIF infringements”, a module to streamline the handling of the information provided within infringement procedures and EU funding programmes. The project thus supported the Commission in maintaining, structuring and analysing information related to complex infringement cases.
The project had the following main tasks:
1. identification of user needs, focusing on users within the European Commission;
2. development of a data model and database;
3. populating the database with information reported by EU Member States under Article 17 of the Directive as well as information gathered for two major ongoing cases;
4. building a desktop application for our use within the European Commission;
5. using the application to analyse the compliance status for the two cases;
6. preparation of documentation and other elements for the handover of the database;
7. testing and training for Commission officials.
Milieu oversaw the project as a whole, and identified user needs and used the application to analyse compliance.