Coastal zone management
Sharing of best practices on Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM), in a context of adaptation to climate change in coastal areas
Client: DG Environment
Integrated Coastal Management (ICM) supports the sustainable use of marine and coastal resources and the sustainable growth of the maritime economy. The EU’s 2002 Recommendation on Integrated Coastal Zone Management sets out eight principles for good coastal management. The European Commission’s White Paper on adaptation to climate change calls for a more integrated approach to marine and coastal planning and management to integrate adaptation. This project supports Member States in the implementation of ICM and adaptation to climate change by providing up-to-date information on current policies and measures to address climate risks in coastal areas.
The work is being carried out through five main tasks:
1. preparation of an overview and analysis of existing policies and good practice measures in Member States for ICM and adaptation, including their related costs and benefits where available. Information has been gathered through a literature review as well as a brief questionnaire sent to Member State experts and selected interviews;
2. development of a report to support the development of guidance to Member States on ICM and adaptation;
3. further development of the EU web-based platform, OURCOAST, to share experiences in coastal zone management and adaptation, including preparation of new case studies and coordination for the updating of existing ones. This task is being carried in close cooperation with the EU web portal on adaptation, Climate-Adapt;
4. analysis of options for the coordination and integration of OURCOAST with other EU information-sharing platforms in the areas of marine policy and climate change adaptation, and analysis of current data sharing by Member States relevant for ICM and adaptation;
5. communication of project activities and provision of support to the Commission services, including relevant conferences and meetings.
Milieu Ltd is leading the overall project as well as tasks 1, 4 and 5 above, and will contribute to and oversee work in all five tasks.